Aged hydraulic hoses

Discussions on restoring tractors.
keith Canada
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:50 am
Location: Northern Ontario Canada
Has thanked: 1335 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by keith »

Well, one of my hydraulic hoses is leaking and I was wondering if you guys think it might be a good time to change them all to avoid more problems.
The hoses are original to my knowledge and the GT is a 1979. Also the soft one that connects to the cooling rad is the leaking one and the system is now making a noise when driving or using the mid cylinder. The oil in the hydraulic system was flushed and changed in the fall and is 5" from the top of the tank.
:cheers:
User avatar
DavidBarkey Canada
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am
Location: Waverley On.
Has thanked: 17916 times
Been thanked: 11247 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by DavidBarkey »

If they are all original , ie the same age yes I would do all. The hose at the cooler "looks" like heater hose to most ,it is not . You must get single wire hydraulic return/suction hose and reuse you old clamps if possible . Standard hose clamps won't hold . If you need to replace them or if the wrong one are on there thus the leak you need to get these kind .
image.png
image.png
image.png
You may want to contact one of our supplier on here for the 2 molded hoses that go to the tank .
As for the noise it is making that is cavitation and that is most likely from the oil being low and sucking air . Not knowing what tank you have the 5" measurement mean nothing to me
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
keith Canada
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:50 am
Location: Northern Ontario Canada
Has thanked: 1335 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by keith »

Thanks Dave, the tank is the plastic one where the battery rests on top. :cheers:
CaseIngersollNE United States of America
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:16 pm
Location: Andover CT
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Yes we highly recommend changing them all as they have a life and most times if one fails more will follow and depending on the hose but sometimes with th oil you lose you could have bought a fe more new hoses lol. We have all most any hose in stock ready to ship at caseingersolltractors.com send us a email for shipping to Canada we ship 6 days a week. Message, email or call with any questions. Ryan
User avatar
DavidBarkey Canada
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am
Location: Waverley On.
Has thanked: 17916 times
Been thanked: 11247 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by DavidBarkey »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm Thanks Dave, the tank is the plastic one where the battery rests on top. :cheers:
The level is correct for that tank . What oil are you running ? Is there any foaming in the oil when running ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
keith Canada
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:50 am
Location: Northern Ontario Canada
Has thanked: 1335 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by keith »

CaseIngersollNE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:39 pm Yes we highly recommend changing them all as they have a life and most times if one fails more will follow and depending on the hose but sometimes with th oil you lose you could have bought a fe more new hoses lol. We have all most any hose in stock ready to ship at caseingersolltractors.com send us a email for shipping to Canada we ship 6 days a week. Message, email or call with any questions. Ryan
Thanks for your advice Ryan. There hasn't been much oil lost due to lack of snow this winter so not much run time . So far it's only the one hose leaking actually slow dripping and I put a temporary patch on it.
Most likely be contacting you after the beginning of April about this. :cheers:
keith Canada
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:50 am
Location: Northern Ontario Canada
Has thanked: 1335 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by keith »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:49 pm
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm Thanks Dave, the tank is the plastic one where the battery rests on top. :cheers:
The level is correct for that tank . What oil are you running ? Is there any foaming in the oil when running ?
Dave, the oil used is Castrol edge 5w50 synthetic. I'll check tomorrow if it's foaming. Good question, never thought about that thanks. I did notice when I flushed the tank that there was something in the bottom but was hardened and would not even scrape off. Not sure what it is.
Could it be caused from oil in the tank that was overheated? Also it came with very little oil in the tank when I bought it. Not sure how long it sat with a blown engine.
:cheers:
User avatar
DavidBarkey Canada
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am
Location: Waverley On.
Has thanked: 17916 times
Been thanked: 11247 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by DavidBarkey »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:49 pm
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm Thanks Dave, the tank is the plastic one where the battery rests on top. :cheers:
The level is correct for that tank . What oil are you running ? Is there any foaming in the oil when running ?
Dave, the oil used is Castrol edge 5w50 synthetic. I'll check tomorrow if it's foaming. Good question, never thought about that thanks. I did notice when I flushed the tank that there was something in the bottom but was hardened and would not even scrape off. Not sure what it is.
Could it be caused from oil in the tank that was overheated? Also it came with very little oil in the tank when I bought it. Not sure how long it sat with a blown engine.
:cheers:
I am using the same weight oil with no problems . If that has come loose and blocking the intake hose to the pump would cause a problem . What hose is leaking and how did you patch it ? When is it leaking . using it or sitting ? The other thing is can you upload a video with sound of the noise you are getting . Two main noise from a Hydralic system are from cavitation and releaf valve . Both have different causes.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
CaseIngersollNE United States of America
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:16 pm
Location: Andover CT
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:26 pm
CaseIngersollNE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:39 pm Yes we highly recommend changing them all as they have a life and most times if one fails more will follow and depending on the hose but sometimes with th oil you lose you could have bought a fe more new hoses lol. We have all most any hose in stock ready to ship at caseingersolltractors.com send us a email for shipping to Canada we ship 6 days a week. Message, email or call with any questions. Ryan
Thanks for your advice Ryan. There hasn't been much oil lost due to lack of snow this winter so not much run time . So far it's only the one hose leaking actually slow dripping and I put a temporary patch on it.
Most likely be contacting you after the beginning of April about this. :cheers:
Sounds good, what I meant when saying losing oil was when a hose blows you will have gallon so oil n the ground in a matter of seconds, Not necessarily "leaks" . Seen many times someone replaces only one hose to have a old one blow. Its like a chain hydraulics will find the weakest "link" Talk soon.
keith Canada
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:50 am
Location: Northern Ontario Canada
Has thanked: 1335 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by keith »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 am
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:49 pm

The level is correct for that tank . What oil are you running ? Is there any foaming in the oil when running ?
Dave, the oil used is Castrol edge 5w50 synthetic. I'll check tomorrow if it's foaming. Good question, never thought about that thanks. I did notice when I flushed the tank that there was something in the bottom but was hardened and would not even scrape off. Not sure what it is.
Could it be caused from oil in the tank that was overheated? Also it came with very little oil in the tank when I bought it. Not sure how long it sat with a blown engine.
:cheers:
I am using the same weight oil with no problems . If that has come loose and blocking the intake hose to the pump would cause a problem . What hose is leaking and how did you patch it ? When is it leaking . using it or sitting ? The other thing is can you upload a video with sound of the noise you are getting . Two main noise from a Hydralic system are from cavitation and releaf valve . Both have different causes.
The upper hose to the heat exchanger is the culprit. The patch is a piece of bicycle tube doubled over with 2 gear clamps. I really had to clear the driveway that day. The answers to your other questions I'm sorry, will have to wait because of high winds and rain that came down quite heavy today. Thank you guys for your help!
:cheers:
Post Reply